- Condemn the Chinese government’s inhuman and brutal treatment of Dr Liu to the extent that Dr Liu is still not allowed to move anywhere at his own choice to get medical treatment and to spend for the rest of his life.
- Join the USA and Germany by offering refugee protection to Dr Liu and his spouse, Liu Xia, so they could choose to come to Australia for his treatment and future life, if they choose to do so. Dr Liu visited Australia in 1993 as a visiting scholar after his jail term for his role in the 1989 Beijing Pro-Democracy Movement. He loves Australia for our democratic system and multicultural environment.
- Condemn China’s human right records in which Dr Liu’s case represents a peak highlight.
Monday, 10 July 2017
Tuesday, 27 June 2017
Urgent Appeal to Unconditional Release of Liu Xiaobo
We, the undersigned, are alarmed to learn that Mr Liu Xiaobo, the renowned literary critic, human rights activist and the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate who is currently imprisoned in the Jinzhou Jail of Liaoning Province, has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. He was subsequently granted permission to access medical treatment outside of prison and is currently hospitalized in Liaoning at the First Affiliated Hospital of the China Medical University. According to reliable sources close to his family, Mr Liu is now gravely ill and the cancer has metastasized.
Mr Liu is the first Chinese national to be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize to honour his three decades of struggle for basic human rights on behalf of his fellow countrymen. We admire Mr Liu for his endurance and sacrifice. We are deeply saddened and angry about the way in which he has fallen severely ill in prison. We therefore demand the Chinese Government to:
- ensure unconditional release of Mr Liu from imprisonment so that he and his wife Liu Xia can resume normal contacts with the outside world;
- guarantee Mr Liu has freedom to choose where and how he seeks medical treatment;
- guarantee Mr Liu has rights to be visited by and to communicate with his relatives and friends, and to receive humanitarian assistance from the outside world;
- disclose in full Mr Liu’s medical record during imprisonment and investigate thoroughly the cause of deterioration of his health so that those who are responsible for a delay in offering him timely medical treatment will be held accountable.
Please send your signature to: email@example.com
This document is first posted on: 27 June 2017
UPDATE: Since this blogpost is published, an online petition has been set up to collect signatures internationally.